ANALYTICS

Izea

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Our Turkey Tradation

We can't have Thanksgiving without our traditional turkey centerpiece.  For as far back as I can remember my grandma used to make this turkey centerpiece.  Since she has passed away we have carried this on, and I hope some day my kids will pass it on.  I didn't take a very good picture of the whole thing last week, so I will try and get a better one next week for our 2nd turkey of the year.  (We had a turkey dinner last Sunday with Chad's family and some friends at our place).

To make this turkey you need a pineapple (works best with the green sort of curved), a yam (look for a goofy shaped one that resembles a turkey head), dates, red and green grapes, a small carrot, maraschino cherries, two cloves, several toothpicks and mixed nuts.  You also need a dish/pan/platter to serve it on.





Dump the mixed nuts on the platter and set the pineapple down sideways.  Attach the yam with toothpicks.  stick the carrot in for the beak using toothpicks again.  Add cherries for the golly-wobble or whatever it's called lol.  And use cloves for eyes - or if you don't have any you can slice the ends of an olive off  like I did this year.  Sit the grapes around the pineapple to create a "nest".  Toothpick on the dates to make wings.

One year I changed it up a bit and added kabob sticks into the "tail" and put cheese, olives, pickles and salami on the kabobs.  It was good, but it just wasn't the same.

Everybody can much on the grapes and the nuts.  My little boy loves the peanuts!
A day or two later you can eat your nice ripe pineapple.

Gobble gobble.



5 comments:

  1. I took one of these to Scott & Kris's house a few years ago. Ever since then it's been a tradition over there too. I hope my kids keep it alive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I think my kids would love making this as our centerpiece for the Thanksgiving table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like it. It's my kids favorite. I saw a cute idea in a magazine (parents or family I think...) to do a turkey egg hunt. I'm thinking about trying that out too this year :)

      Delete
  3. I think the idea is adorable, but I don't see dates for the wings on the turkey. Where am I to look? Were they left out/off by mistake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sorry the picture is kind of lame. It's not the whole thing. I usually toothpick the dates on (towards the bottom) and then make a "nest" on a platter with mixed shelled nuts and red/green grapes- then place the turkey on top.

      Delete

Izea