ANALYTICS

Izea

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Freezer meal updates

I did it.  On Saturday I loaded up all my veggies and meat and the zip lock baggies and headed over to my mother in law's house.  She has a HUGE and awesome kitchen with tons of counter space (which my kitchen majorly lacks).  She helped me wash, cut, peel, chop everything up.  It took a few hours, but once it was all done it went really quickly.  I wrote on the baggies the name of the recipe, the date, how long to cook it and if anything needed to be added.  When I got home I added in all the other sauce and spices- I didn't want to take my entire kitchen to her house...  I will definitely do this again though. 

Here is the first recipe that we've actually tried-
Healthy Mama Barbecue Chicken (revised)FROM mama and baby love
3 medium unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 large green pepper, cut into strips
1 large red pepper, cut into strips
1 zucchini, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tablespoon quick cooking tapioca (I think next time I will put in more to thicken it up)
2 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks
          (It would probably be better with breast meat, so you don't have  to worry about fishing out bones)
1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard (Dijon)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dump everything into (2) gallon freezer bags, shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer.

Cook on high in crock pot for 4 hours, or until chicken is done.

*Watch out for the chicken bones if you are dishing kids plates.

I was under the impression that this would be a whole meal all in itself... I was wrong.  I tend to forget that things "cook down".  So I made rice to go with and a salad.

The kids were picky about eating it, but me and the hubby thought it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Izea