ANALYTICS

Izea

Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Pinterest-a-thon" Experiment

I decided it was time to try out a bunch of recipes I've found on Pinterest.  
Here's what I found:

French Vanilla Coffee Creamer (found at http://www.mrshappyhomemaker.com)
Ingredients:
  • 14oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 14oz milk (whole, lowfat, or skim - doesn't matter)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR Vanilla Coffee Syrup for a stronger flavor
  • a mason jar (quart is perfect)
Instructions:
Pour all of the ingredients into your mason jar. Screw the lid on tightly, and shake vigorously for a few minutes until well combined.

This one gets a "pass".  It was quick and easy, not to mention cheap.  And it's yummy.
***
Comeback Sauce  adapted from: http://syrupandbiscuits.com/comeback-sauce/
1 cup  mayonnaise
1/4 cup  ketchup
1/4 cup chili sauce   ( DO NOT substitute Thai Chili Sauce)
1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard  * I accidentally used 2 teaspoons.
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup light olive oil
juice of one lemon
Mix all ingredients well and store in refrigerator overnight. It needs to sit to let the flavors become “acquainted”. They shouldn’t rush into marriage.

This sort of tastes like BBQ sauce but with a twist.
The site I got this from says it goes on everything except Cheerios!  My hubby and boy go through Ranch, ketchup and hot sauce like there's no tomorrow...  not together, but still- I had to try it.
***

Green Monster Bread- http://she-fit.com/green-monster-bread-recipe/ 
This one was an epic fail for me.  I didn't exactly follow the recipe, so it's probably my own fault.
I was thinking that this would be great as muffins, and I could have one on my way to work.  Not that they sounded delicious or anything, but they are supposed to be REALLY good for you. 
There's No-Way! I could gag down one of those "green monster spinach smoothies".

I already had kale on hand, rather than spinach- I tried to google the nutritional difference and it seemed that kale was better for you anyways.  I also had pistachio's rather than walnuts (because I hate walnuts). 

The taste wasn't bad but the texture was horrible- gag.  I think maybe it's because I baked them in muffin tins rather than a bread pan and probably not long enough.  I felt like it could have used more flour, and while we're on a "health kick" here shouldn't it be whole wheat too? 

Ingredients:
* 1 ½ cup flour
* 2 cups spinach
* 1 teaspoon stevia (equivalent to 1 cup of sugar)
* ½ teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 2 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup
* 2 egg whites
* 3 bananas
* ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* ½ cup chopped walnuts for some healthy fats
Directions:
* Pre-heat oven to 350
* Mix together all dry ingredients (flour, Stevia, baking soda, cinnamon)
* Mash down bananas in a separate bowl
* Puree/blend all wet ingredients with spinach (syrup, egg whites, bananas, applesauce)
* Combine all ingredients into one bowl and add walnuts.
* Pour into greased pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown
Sprinkle Stevia on top

So if any of you have experience with this "monster green" whatever health kick, let me know your thoughts here.  I really just think if it's good for you it's an un-written rule that it has to taste bad.

***

Freezing Herbs  http://www.thegardenerseden.com/?p=13221
I haven't actually tested these out yet.  They're made and waiting in the freezer.
Seemed like a smart idea anyways.

***

Homemade Ranch Dressing
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 packet  ranch (dressing, not dip)
1/2 cup milk

Whisk together in bowl and chill for 1 hour before serving. 

This is way cheaper than buying it ready made.  I scored some packets of Western Family Ranch on sale for .29 cents!  And it has to be healthier, right?  The real test is if the kids and hubby notice.  I am thinking about just refilling the Ranch bottle... sneaky.

***

There were a few more I didn't get to.  My little one was acting like she's 2 already... 
See my "yummy" board on Pinterest for more ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever tried a green monster smoothie?? It is way good!! You can't even taste the spinach. I usually put in a little yogurt instead of milk. Kolby LOVES them and I always feel sneaky cuz it has spinach in it ;).

    ReplyDelete

Izea