ANALYTICS

Izea

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Freezer Meal Update

I tested out onceamonthmom freezer meals {traditional April 2012 & toddler snacks}.  I have to say it was a LOT of work.  Not so terrible that I wouldn't do it again.  I would do it a little different, but over-all I would say it was totally worth it.  If I had a bigger kitchen and air conditioning I would probably do it a LOT more often. 

It was SO nice to be able to just grab a meal and put it in the crock pot and not have to worry about what's for dinner.  Also it cut down on extra trips to the grocery store and we didn't eat fast food so much- which is a plus in my book.

The recipes are doubled so you eat each meal twice- I found that there was more than enough for us to eat twice. I ended up packaging up the "extra" and giving it to a friend with a new baby. 
My sister was wanting help doing freezer meals and I had the brilliant idea {and I haven't told her}, maybe we could swap meals, so we don't have to eat everything twice. Nice.
The main thing that I wouldn't recommend is freezing pasta.  It's yucky when you re-heat it.  Not so much stuffed shells or lasagna type- those are ok.  Spaghetti or fettuccine type noodles reheated = not so good.  I would put together the sauces/ veggies to freeze and then when you are ready make the noodles fresh.

I had a hard time re-heating the Bacon and Egg Uncrustables too.  I'm sure there's a trick to it, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Our favorites were:
Peanut Butter and Oat Granola Bites  I tripled this recipe, because I knew it would be yummy
Herbed Beef
Cheesy Chicken Ranch Lasagna  The friends liked this too
Chicken Bites
Little Monkey Bread Bites  Baby girl LOVED these things!!!
Strawberry Freezer Pops  These things are a life saver with a teething babe, much better than a big popsicle

When I tried some other freezer meals several months ago (my 1st try) I found that it's best to use boneless/skinless meat in all your recipes.  Some veggies don't freeze and reheat very well either; like broccoli for instance- gross.

We did like: (all found at mama and baby love)
Healthy Momma BBQ Chicken
Stephanie's Goulash
Chicken Curry

Anyways, I know most of this is a copy and paste job but hopefully my "re-search" is helpful in your freezer meal adventures.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good idea to me. We'll have to look at recipes together though so we don't double up. Plus I don't know where you're finding all your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Izea