ANALYTICS

Izea

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Can you do the Can-Can?

I've heard the term "Crocktober", I feel more like "Cantober" is more accurate though.  Mostly because I use my crock pot all year round.



I've done cowboy-candy and dill-icious-pickles and salsa...

Crock Pot Apple Butter
14 medium apples
2 cups of water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice



2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar

Peel, core, and slice apples in fourths.
Put them in the crock pot and cook with the other ingredients {on low for 6-8 hours}.
Stir every few hours.
Once apples are very, very tender, mash with a potato masher.- Cook on low for another 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally.

I love this recipe because I can put the apples in the slow cooker in the morning and check on it during lunch.  Or I can let it go over night.  So easy!

To CAN: Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving a 1/4-inch head space. Wipe jars rims; place lids on jars and screw on the jar rings.
Process in boiling-water for 5 minutes (start timing when water begins to boil).



AND

Apple Pie Filling
Peel & slice your apples into about 3/4" chunks.  {about 6 quarts worth}

Hot Pack
I find this works much better than a raw pack.
Boil your apples for 1 minute and drain.

Thickener or Syrup
5 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Cornstarch
1 Tsp Cinnamon and nutmeg
2 Tsp Salt
10 Cups Water
3 Tbs Lemon Juice

* Heat and stir until thickened (I get this going while I'm cutting up apples).

Slowly add the syrup to the apples, just a little at a time and stir.

Fill jars leaving 1" head space.  Wipe the rims, place the lids and screw on rings.
Process in hot water bath for 25 minutes (for quarts), adjust according to altitude.

Altitude in Feet    Increase processing time
1001-3000            5 minutes
3001-6000           10 minutes
6001-8000           15 minutes
8001-10,000        20 minutes



Apple Juice
I let my apples soak in a sink full of water with about a cup of vinegar.
Then lightly scrubbed and rinsed.
I used an apple cutter to slice and core the apple into about 6 sections.
Then they went right into the electric juicer.
I probably had about 2 bushels, maybe slightly less- and I ended up with about 2 gallons.
Transfer juice to a clean pot and simmer on low.
Now is the time to taste your juice.
      If it's not as sweet as you like, add sugar to taste and whisk until dissolved. Otherwise leave it unsweetened
The next step is to preserve it.
You can either freeze it or can it.
If freezing, allow liquid to cool and store in air tight containers. Use within 3-6 months for best flavor.
To can, pour warm apple juice into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space and process in a hot water canner for 30 minutes.  (Check adjusted time for your altitude).

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/small-farm-chronicles/how-to-make-homemade-apple-juice.aspx#ixzz29fqvMsUJ

I'm so sick of apples!  And yet I can't quit eating them.  Help me.

I also froze grape juice... goes pretty good if you mix it about half and half with ginger ale.
Picked out of the garden, washed and juiced with an eclectic juicer. Strained through jelly sacks.
I shouldn't say this... by my mom calls it "Jesus Juice".

Partied with: somethingswanky.com ~ sweet treat Thursdays!
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-50-includes-3.html#disqus_thread


Now that I've stole my mothers pressure cooker I will do: 
Potatoes & Beans!
Results and pictures to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Izea