ANALYTICS

Izea

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I can. I can. With the pressure cooker!

I've wanted to try pressure canning potatoes for a few years now.  I remember a friend doing it and I thought it sounded like the greatest idea ever. 

The whole family loves mashed potatoes, but lets face it... after a long day at work, I really don't want to make them. 

This helps speed things up a lot.  They're already washed, scrubbed, peeled and cubed and basically cooked.  All you really have to do is warm them up and mash them.  Because instant potatoes are not allowed in my house- yuck.  I just add a little milk and butter to them and they're done!


To pressure cook
Potatoes
Wash, scrub, peel and cube.
    

Let them sit in a  pot filled with cool water so they don't turn brown while you're doing more of the above said.
   
Then I brought them to a boil over medium high heat... and boiled them gently for about 5 minutes... heated through but not soft.  Drain all the water.

I packed the hot potatoes into hot quart jars...
then ladled fresh boiling water to cover the potatoes, leaving a half inch head space.
I added 1 teaspoon of salt per quart jar.
I wiped the jar rims with a damp cloth...I tightened the hot lids on to fingertip tightness.

Then processed them in my pressure canner at 15lbs of pressure for 40 minutes.

Make sure to check the correct pressure and time for your altitude.

Look there's apple juice there too!
I love this funnel.  It's made by Bell and it fits regular and wide mouth jars.
It's collapsible and fits in the dishwasher.
And they're not even paying me to tell you this!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Izea